As you may probably know by now, the North Yorkshire Moor Railway passes by the Unique Retreats cottages here in Whitby. Therefore, this makes the railway very dear to our hearts. We always get lots of lovely feedback from our visitors about the trains. But, did you know you can get involved behind the scenes this year?
Behind the Scenes 2019
Explore ‘Behind the Scenes’ at one of the most popular heritage railway lines, where you will be able to take a sneaky peek at the areas we usually have closed. This event will showcase all the work that goes into keeping the wheels turning.
Visitors will be able to see what goes on inside the Carriage and Wagon workshop and the Archive and Education department will also be producing a display on Platform 2, ’50 years of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway’.
Visitor Car Park:
• Explore the Carriage and Wagon Shed and join the London & North Eastern Railway Coach Association (LNERCA) and Pickering Wagon Group.
• ’50 years of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway’, an exhibition by the Archive Department.
• Don’t miss out on a great opportunity to travel on a brake van ride with shuttles operating between main train services each day.
• Children can dress up and become a railway signaller between 12:00 and 16:00 in the demonstration signal box.
Levisham & Goathland Stations
Passengers travelling to Levisham station will be treated to signalbox tours and there will be a talk on the history of Goathland Station including the Pelton Wheel. There will also be information about the vital repair works needed to the bridges located on the approach to the station, as well as plans to install an exciting new education carriage.
• Travel to Levisham Station and take a tour in a working signalbox between 10:00 and 16:00.
• Continue your journey and enjoy a talk on the history of Goathland Station.
• Learn about our £9.2m Appeal – Yorkshire’s Magnificent Journey.
Not only that, at Grosmont, the operating hub of the railway, there will be the chance to walk through the repair shop and running shed to get a first-hand insight into the work being carried out on locomotives and rolling stock. See the steam crane in action from 10:30 – 15:30 (Sunday & Monday only).
Interested in volunteering at the railway? A volunteer ambassador will be at each station over the event to discuss what volunteering involves and how you can join the team!
Travel along the heritage line (Pickering to Grosmont Return – hop on, hop off all day) Adult £27.00, Child £13.50 and Family (2x Adults & 3x Children) £57.00. Multi-Day Tickets (1 day, 2 day and 3 day ticket options available). Carer Tickets are available with a full paying fare. Proof of ID required at Booking Office.
For details and for booking tickets, visit the North Yorkshire Moor Railway website